Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Photographers During a Street Performance


The above photo was taken during one of my first evenings doing a local street fair called First Friday in Philadelphia   I recall this photo as a performer because what the photo doesn't show you is me finishing a quick set and looking across the street and seeing this photographer and making a large "X" with my clubs indicating I wasn't happy with him taken candid snapshots of me without compensating me.

I am an artist and an entertainer,  or at least I try to be.  I understand that when I perform for public events I take the chance that someone will take photos of me since I am in a public venue, which is usually okay because most people will put a dollar in a bucket as a way of saying thank you.  But there are also lots of photographers who behave in a way that makes me think that I am there simply as a "moment" of street art.

What I do costs money and takes time (which is another valuable resource).  A set of five juggling clubs will run at least 150$-300$ and that's only one prop.  So needless to say I understand that when I perform I am trying to entertain,  but I am also attempting to recoup costs/ earn money from my art.  It is also the most direct way to network.

So let's say that this photo actually becomes used for a financial gain.  Because of where I am,  I am in no way protected by any form of copyright for my art form or privacy acts.  So a photographer who happens to get lucky and capture an amazing image is doing so at the expense of the performer.  Simply put at least give us the respect that if you capture an image from us, thank us and acknowledge what you are doing.  We understand if you can't give us cash but you can acknowledge who you took the photos if you are going to publish them as your own work.
  We can't afford to create art for the sake of art alone.  So please either give us thanks by giving us credit in your photos or giving us what we call a "tip of the hat"
The photos in question were taken by http://www.s18photography.com/

1 comment:

  1. That's not something I ever thought about. Usually if I'm taking pictures of a performance, I'm tagging along with Hvbris at one of their paid gigs. I have not yet encountered a street performer and just snapped pictures of them and then walked away. I don't make any money from that kind of photography, but if I do take pictures of a street performance in the future, I will be sure to keep this in mind. Thank you for posting this.

    ReplyDelete